A selfie for mom!

A selfie for mom!

Monday, June 29, 2015

I testify of the purifying power of sharing the gospel and the exalting power of charitable giving.

Boa tarde, minha família linda! This week was AWESOME. We worked hard and saw some results! We had a great stake conference where an area seventy from Rio de Janeiro came to speak to us. Dr Carmen said that once I can get my vitamin B12, D and iron levels up, I will be much closer to being problem-free! We're helping a torn family get back together. I've had the privilege of giving a few priesthood blessings. It was so wonderful to have the Lord speak through me to His children on such a personal level. I also had a neat experience as I was leaving Dr. Carmen's office. A homeless man called to us and asked "Do you speak English?"... but he asked in English, with not even a trace of a brasilian accent. So we stopped and approached him. He is from Durban, South Africa, and has been homeless in São Paulo for 6 years. All he asked was for a cup of hot coffee and a salgado to stay off hunger and the chilly morning. We agreed, but on the condition that he go with us to buy it. As we walked and talked with him, we saw that he really was homeless, and that he was very weak and sickly. So I bought him what he wanted, plus whatever else he wanted. He refused to ask for anything else, but I got him a waterbottle and a gatorade, since he looked really dehydrated. As I bought him these things, Elder Ward reports that the look on his face was one of disbelief mixed with relief. We also left him some crackers that I had in my bag, and a pamphlet of the Plan of Salvation. We directed him to find the nearest church (we even showed him a picture of an lds church). As we left, he had tears running down his cheeks. I wish I could have done more. But I felt so great helping him out. I felt the approval of my Savior. His love is so powerful. I testify that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. He has given us so much, and asks so little. If we obey Him and try to be like Him, then we will inherit all that our Father has. I testify of the purifying power of sharing the gospel, and of the exalting power of charitable giving. When we do these things, we stand shoulder to shoulder with the best Missionary who ever lived: Christ the Lord. I testify of His Godhood in His holy name. Amen. -- Élder Thomas Richins Ala Jardim Mirna Estaca Grajaú

No comments:

Post a Comment